Welcome...

I will talk about anything and everything here. You'll probably realize though pretty quickly that I'm somewhat obsessed with cooking and entertaining...but I do have other interests.



Monday, October 24, 2011

Foreign Films

I'm watching "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" in Swedish for the second time.  And before anyone asks, no I'm not going to watch the American version.  Americans ruin foreign films...just watch the French/Dutch version of "The Vanishing"...it didn't have the happy ending the American one did.  I never saw the Danish version of "Smila's Sense of Snow"...not sure if there was one.  But I did see the American one and wasn't all too pleased - it didn't seem to capture the grit of the novel.  And a final example...the Swedish version of "Let Her In" was remarkable - what a great idea, a vampire in Sweden -- cold and dark so much of the time.  I wouldn't dare watch the US version.

There's something about the way the Scandanavians film and act...and the fact that they're not consumed with Hollywood-type endings...they're ok with loose ends and dismal, depressing narratives.  And I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment